Argha and Khanchi were two of the Chaubisi rajya (24 principalities) centered in the Gandaki Basin. In 1786 A.D. (1843 BS) during the unification of Nepal the two were annexed by Gorkha. Later the merger was renamed “Arghakhanchi” and added to Gulmi District. Arghakhanchi became a separate district in 1961 A.D. (2018 BS).
Notable local temples include Supa Deurali Bhagwati, Argha Mahakali and Chetradev. Argha Durbar, Khanchi Rajsthal, Narpani, Kissankot and Ranipokhari are significant sites in the political history.